Thursday, June 2, 2011

DIY Wednesday: Cut-Off Denim Shorts

With skinny jeans becoming the "it" jean and flare/boot-cut jeans going of style, I am left with many pairs of designer denim that I spent loads of money on, only to sit and collect dust in my closet. With warm weather rolling in (anytime now Spokane), I thought to myself, I need to buy shorts! Don't get me wrong, I love having long legs, but finding shorts where my ass isn't falling out of them is tough. My thighs are so damn long. So, with inspiration from many fashion blogs and editorials I decided today's "Do It Yourself" would be denim cut-offs. Yay... a tutorial that helps you save money! I have provided you with 2 tutorials: (1) for shorts to be worn just at your hips and (2) for shorts to be worn high-waisted. 


Now, I have feared ruining jeans over a tutorial like this. Making the cuts too short. Making the cuts uneven. Blah blah blah. BUT, I have developed the courage and thanks to Her Campus - UC Davis I believe I have found a fool-proof way to create this Summer's trend.


1st tutorial: Regular cut-off shorts






1. Find yourself a pair of pants you’re okay with cutting. Realize, scissors have no undo button and any change you make will be permanent, sewing will not fix anything.


2. Decide what length shorts you would like to cut. If you have a pair of shorts whose length you would like to emulate, put them on first and hold one arm flat against the side of your leg, marking where on your arm the shorts end.


3. Next, if you have model shorts, lay them over the jeans and mark on the jeans where the shorts end. If you want to have a cuff on your new shorts, mark about an extra inch down for a thick cuff and half and inch for a smaller one.


4. Use a ruler to draw a straight line across each pant leg based on your previous marking to guide your cutting. Don’t worry too much about being exact, but keep it close, when one short leg is shorter than the other, it tends to ride up extra quickly.


5. Whip out your scissors and cut across the line you have drawn. Cut carefully to avoid jagged "I-obviously-did-this-myself" edges by keeping the bottom blade of the scissors on the table. If you want some fraying, pull at the edges after you cut to free some of the edge fibers. Fraying will also increase with wash and wear. You can fray the fibers with the edges of a steak knife.


6. If you opted for a cuff, fold your allotted extra material up and iron to keep in place. To avoid having to re-cuff before each wear, try sewing a small seam up the inner and outer sides of your cuff to secure in place.


Now, for the 2nd tutorial: high-waisted denim cut-off shorts


Courtsey of Vanessa Hong from The Haute Pursuit

No comments:

Post a Comment